WELCOME TO THE ART OF FERNWEH, I’M REBEKAH!
I long to live a life of passion and purpose for the glory of God, and this space is where I share about my journey. I hope that throughout these pages you will find encouragement and inspiration!
I’m a 23 year old who was born and raised in the heart of the Midwest, but am living in South Africa for the time being. I enjoy photography and love capturing genuine moments through the lens of my camera. Gravel roads, golden sunshine, and a warm summer breeze are the perfect combination in my opinion, but so is a solo road trip on a rainy day. But then again, give me a good book, a steaming mug of coffee, and a cuddly blanket on a cold winter night and I’d be perfectly happy too.
10 Random Facts…
- I’m slightly obsessed with plants. They make me really, really happy.
- Airports, coffee shops, and greenhouses are three of my favorite happy places.
- When it comes to Nikon vs. Canon…I’m a Nikon gal.
- I like my coffee extremely dark and strong; occasionally with a touch of cream.
- I’m a former YWAM’er, and completed my DTS in South Africa.
- I’m almost a 50/50 mix of introvert and extrovert; I love people, but alone time is also vital to my sanity.
- Oversized sweaters, chunky scarves and leather boots make fall my favorite season.
- Creating beautiful spaces brings a smile to my face.
- I was one of those horse-crazy little girls (and teenager), and am still the proud owner of my lovely-ol’-girl, Flash, who has been my faithful riding companion for the past 11 years.
- I love using words and photos to tell stories of how God is at work around the globe, and am currently on staff with Ten Thousand Homes in South Africa doing just that.
The Art of Fernweh is a blog focused on living with passion and purpose for the glory of God. I started it as a place to share about the journey that God is taking me on, in hopes that it will encourage and inspire others as well.
Here you will find topics such as…
– Cultivating a Healthy Lifestyle
I believe that a healthy lifestyle is so much more than eating right and working out. It’s about cultivating a lifestyle that allows us to live with passion and purpose for the glory of God – having a healthy body, a healthy mindset, healthy relationships with those around us, and a healthy relationship with the Lord.
– A Life of Passion & Purpose
As I continue to explore what it looks like to live with passion and purpose, I’ll be sharing things that I have found encouraging and challenging. Let’s all grow together in this!!
Life is a journey. It has its ups and downs, its mountains and valleys. Through it all, God is continually teaching me new things, so you’ll find stories and reflections from my personal journey of learning to live each season of life with passion and purpose.
I love adventure whether it be something as simple as a local hike, or trekking across the globe to explore a new culture. To me personally, traveling is a part of living with passion and purpose because meeting new people, seeing new places and experiencing new cultures reminds me of how God is working around the world and gives me glimpses of the beautiful diversity of His creation.
Using words to communicate how God is at work around the world is something that is near to my heart. Pairing stories and photos is a part of how I am learning to live with passion and purpose, so from time to time I will be sharing these little collections.
So, what’s with the name “The Art of Fernweh”?
Fernweh (pronounced fairn-vay) is a German word which is defined in English as “an ache for distant places; the crave for travel.” I love to travel, to see new places and meet new people, but there’s more to it than just that. You see, as a Christian, I’m on a grand adventure full of wonder and excitement. In my heart there is a craving for something that nothing in this world can satisfy. So I’m learning the art of fernweh – living this life with passion and purpose for the glory of God, yet knowing in my heart that this world is not my final destination.
Thank you so very much for stopping by, and I hope you will stick around as we learn to live with passion and purpose for the glory of God!
“No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly.”